Monday, November 1, 2010

Your Vote Counts!

Greetings from sunny Denver!  I have successfully completed my first talk at a professional conference.  Unfortunately, preparing for my talk took a giant chunk out of my blogging time.  However, for all the Americans who read my blog, I STRONGLY encourage you to vote tomorrow!

I also encourage you to read about the local candidates, because several of them will directly or indirectly impact your water resources.  For instance, we have elections for water board members this time - they have a direct impact on the water resources, water quality, and environmental impacts of discharge in your area.  City councils and urban planning interact closely, and urban development means a greater population straining water resources, soil erosion and water pollution at construction sites, and other lasting effects of increasing infrastructure (next time I'll blog about the things I learned at the conference concerning cities and their impact on local hydrogeology).

Again, just vote!  It takes a bit of time to become informed, but it's worth it.  Before last year, voting to me was reserved for president.  After I took a bit of time to make informed decisions, I felt a sense of accomplishment and I felt like a worthwhile member of the community.  And if it's any consolation, my Australian readers will tell you they are required by law to vote!  

Sorry I didn't talk about water much, but I thought voting was important.

Happy Voting!

2 comments:

  1. Oh wow - how did the talk go? Yes voting is required by law in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats interesting about Australia...I never knew that. I wish more people in in the US took voting seriously.

    ReplyDelete